ABA, or Applied Behavior Analysis, is the most common form of treatment, for Autism and related disabilities. It is based on the premise that larger goals/objectives can be broken down into smaller teaching components, to help our learners “connect the dots” in areas that may seem abstract, or hard to grasp.
ABA helps us understand the following:
- How and why behavior occurs
- How to set up our environment for success
- How an individual learns best
It is useful as it helps us:
- Adapt to each learner, and create individualized programming based on this
- Decrease challenging behaviors based on environmental changes
- Increase pro-social, communication strategies
- Apply skills learned in any environment – generalizing to home, school, and the community
It is research-based, and scientific, with methods reliant on decreasing challenging behavior and promoting positive reinforcement.